Home

The word Home brings so many images to mind, memories, smells, stories. I think it is that way for all of us. Everything we do is about home when you really think about it. We work so we can come home and enjoy our families. We travel but long for home. We raise our kids and send them off and wait for the holidays so they can come HOME. We write songs and stories and create art all about home.
Home seems to be at the centre of everything. I think God created us that way for a reason... so we would long for home... for our place with Him. I know not every one believes in a literal heaven and hell and whatever I'm not here to debate that but what I know is that we all long for home all the time we are away from it.
I have friends who are waiting so impatiently to bring their baby HOME from the hospital and I rejoice with them that he is finally healthy and strong and ready to take his place in the world. I remember that feeling almost 20 years ago as we waited for the discharge papers for our AnnaRose. Our home wasn't complete without her and then without her sisters... and now as Anna is away we don't feel quite complete again... our home is changing but it's still home.
and home isn't about the place we live... it's about our hearts. We fill our hearts with home and when that is missing it doesn't matter where we physically are... we aren't home.
I have a dear dear friend who is dying soon. She longs to stay and yet she longs for HOME. She knows that heaven awaits her on the other side but wow it's hard to let go. And so hard for us to let go of her.
There's a song I've often listened to but only now can get a glimmer of the truth in it when the artist sings We Are Not Home Yet. We are so attached to this earth and the people in our lives but the truth is... this is just the beginning. Our understanding of home is so limited, so finite but vital to who we are.

Comments

  1. written beautifully!! (you made me cry) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put and a favorite song of mine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

September's Story

For Mrs D

50 Years