If I had been able to share a victim impact statement

I have been struggling with the decision to write this blog entry for three years now. I have written it over and over in my mind and somehow it never really goes away. Now that the trial is complete and the sentence given I still want to say this 'out loud' and so a blog post it shall be. 

Our lives were forever changed when the life of Leslie Dwyre was taken so abruptly and without cause. That day became a very distinct before and after point in our lives. Everything changed when we heard the news that our grade 8 daughter's teacher had been murdered. It made no sense then and it makes no more sense now, almost 3.5 years later. So if I had the opportunity, this is what I would say to him...


That is has taken 3 years and just shy of 4 months for you to receive your sentence both sickens and angers me. Our justice system has failed to provide closure for family and friends for far too long. 
What you did that day in April of 2014 not only took the life of another but it destroyed the innocence of all her students. My daughter was thrown into a world that was no longer safe... because of you and your actions. I will never forget who my daughter used to be as I look into her eyes and long to see the free spirit that was once so visible there. She is a beautiful person who longs to see the best in everyone and help others succeed. She made a choice back then to honour Leslie's life instead of making it all about her death and so I am hesitant to speak about this even now but know that I will never forget the days and weeks that followed Leslie's death. I will never forget the strength, the compassion and truly amazing love that Leslie's family showed all of us. Nor will I forget the pain, the sorrow and the shadow of grief that engulfed not only my child but so many others. The impact of what you did is so far reaching that it overwhelms me at times.  
You stole so much from this world when you let your anger dictate your actions and willfully took the life of another We don't know how to forgive that.
You stole the joy from family, colleagues, friends and students. You took her away from us, you took away all the potential for who she could have become and all those she would have continued to influence. You didn't let her finish her story and you changed the story of countless others. 
There is no punishment that truly satisfies and while I want to be angry and hate you for what you have done, I have to be able to live with myself and so I will choose to release the anger and find forgiveness and leave true justice in the hands of God. 

There is nothing any of us can do to ever bring her back and nothing will change the journey we have all been on because of what you did but we can all move forward and honour her life by standing tall, believing in others and showing compassion. We will not lose our smiles. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

For Mrs D

September's Story

50 Years