Lawrence Letter 2014

Things like Brenna`s Grade 8 Farewell in June `14
So I decided I just couldn't let 2014 go without a traditional newsletter after all. I realize my whole life (basically) is on facebook but not everyone I know and love uses technology so at least this way I can email a few folks the link or maybe even print off a few and ...gasp.... mail them! And also I blame my sister in law Mandi for sending me her newsletter and making me want to write my own!

Looking back at 2014 reminds me of so many things. We managed to have some amazing times and the girls all accomplished so much! Sure we had some bad, really bad, stuff happen but this letter is going to be about the happy stuff, the things I don't ever want to forget.


Grassi Lake-Winter View
the view from out hotel hot tub
So as you probably have heard in previous blogs, we started our year on vacation in Canmore AB, exploring the mountains, hiking in the snow, shopping and eating and enjoying being a family. The drive home was long and sad... lol.


Emily played her second season on the ECS jr girls basketball team and they had a fantastic season. They won way more games than they lost, had an amazing coach and could not have had a better season. Emily even won the most improved player award for the season. Sadly she didn't make the team this year but she's really ok with that and the rest of us are getting there. ;)

Nova in her favorite place
We welcomed Nova to our family in March. A little dog with a big personality. We briefly considered changing her name to Diva but Super-Nova kinda stuck. She is a great companion for our Rider and the rest of us too.

Anna and Emily both maintained honor role grades all through grade 10 and 11 and so far in this school year as well. I just love getting those letters of congratulations from the school :)

Anna and Brenna completed another year of synchronised swimming. They each performed a solo routines and scored well at provincials. Brenna chose to swim along to a song by our favorite local talent Chris Henderson. Anna used a Steven Curtis Chapman tune. Anna also began coaching a bit more this past season and this season is co-coaching with a fellow athlete and having a lot of fun.
Hillcrest Hurricane


Brenna and her school-mates put on a fantastic play performance in May. It was a fun experience for all. Brenna enjoyed having a lead role! There was lots of 50's music and costumes so it was great fun for the grandparents to watch!



 
May also brought Emily`s 16th birthday. She chose a simple backyard bbq with friends instead of a big party like Anna had a couple of years ago. In fact I don`t think there was a single 16 year old at this party! It was a perfect get-together for Em though. 




Walking for Papa and Auntie Carolee
Anna joined the track team this past spring. She didn't win any races but she sure had fun and enjoyed the experience. Anna took home the sportsmanship award for the track team. She and Emily both participated in our Relay for Life. I was so proud of them and their commitment. It was a long night for them!

The end of June brought Bobby and my 20th anniversary. We celebrated with getting family pictured done by Deanna Brown. Dee was a good friend in our youth and we figured she was about the only person who could boss me around in a photo shoot. we had such fun and got some great photos out of the deal! We also had an informal backyard party. The girls, Travis and Amanda had great fun choosing 20 helium balloons to decorate the backyard with! We had good friends, good food and I couldn't have asked for a better party.



Then came Graduation! Many of Anna`s good friends walked the stage and we had fun getting photos and enjoying bits of the day with them. We are excited for Anna`s graduation in just a little under 6 months.
 
Canada Day Parade with Sophie
Summer was splendid and busy and exciting and exhausting and 1000 other things. Some highlights
-Anna worked at Estevan Bible Camp during their first summer back in full operation since the flood of 2011. I was so blessed to speak at Squirt Camp and serve with Anna. It is my favorite thing watching her at camp. she is just made for it. It was a treat to enjoy camp with my nephew Bradley as well! It was great bonding time for us.
-Brenna spent 3 weeks at Kenosee Lake Bible Camp, first at teen camp and then two weeks in their inaugural BOLD program. She grew and changed and made so many new friendships. It was just what she needed after such a difficult spring.
-Emily stayed home and took care of puppies and helped Grammy entertain cousins and ended up spending some time helping at EBC and KLBC as well. It was a strange summer for her but I think she enjoyed it.
-I was blessed to speak at 4 different Bible camps. I started at EBC and then made my way to Dallas Valley where I was super excited to work with my friend Kirstie! We share many giggles when we serve together. Such fun. After a trip to the mountains (see the next point!) I was off to Luseland Bible Camp, which always feels a bit like a homecoming. Seeing kids I`ve known for years mature and become amazing young adults, to see campers become staff and sit awhile with my good friend Marilyn is always a treat. It was a special week with my friends Katelyn, Karalee, Rayne and so many others. I finished my speaking tour at KLBC which is truly home. As a board member and friend of the camp I love to spend a week there. I took Emily and Brenna with me to volunteer in the kitchen and we all enjoyed spending time with familiar faces and friends. Serving with Brad, Allison and Kevin among so many others was the perfect way to end my summer speaking ministry.

Grassi Lake-Summer View
Mama Bear and her cubs
-So in the middle of all that camp stuff, Bobby and snuck off to Canmore for a week of hiking, relaxing and just being together celebrating a successful first 20 years of marriage and beginning to dream of the next 20 or 40 or however many years God gives us. It really was the best vacation, we had such fun exploring and discovering. We took in so many sights and hikes and even managed to spot a few bears along the highway. We should seriously consider retiring to the mountains someday!

 
Fall arrived all too quickly and wow was it busy! I transitioned my day-home into caring for many part-time positions instead of a few full-time ones. It`s been great for me, I`m not sure I could go back to all full-timers! Everyday is different and it suits me quite well!

Bobby had a full season coaching/being the trainer for the ECS ELECS football team. It wasn't a great season on the scoreboard but as always Bobby loved his time with the boys and was so proud of their efforts and he can't wait for next season. The end of the season was bittersweet as he had to say farewell to the group of boys that he has worked with for 4 seasons. What a solid group of young men, More than one will go on to play in their post-secondary education.

BlackBeard
Anna and Brenna once again took part in Missoula Children's Theater when it came to town in September. What a fantastic experience. While MCT is nothing new to my girls, this year held a specialness as it would be Anna's final chance to be a part of it. It was such a great performance, quite possibly the best we've seen!

Brenna also played soccer in September and October, we took in a few road games and even stood in the pouring rain a time or two. My niece Angela will tell you she deserves 'Cousin of the Year" award for going and supporting her cousin at the Moose Jaw soccer fields in snow and rain and close to freezing temps! I think she may be right! The soccer team was a life saver for Brenna's transition into the high school. She has settled in well and is eagerly waiting for the start of semester two which will bring driver's education her way! The other big news for Brenna this fall was that she got braces. We found an awesome orthodontist and we are already see a big difference! She should finish the process shortly after her 16th birthday,

We enjoyed a fun Thanksgiving which ended with me in the hospital ER with a gallbladder attack... I have surgery next week to have that pesky organ removed ;) Anna and had a super fun mother/daughter date at The Globe Theatre with an afternoon of Shakespeare`s Much Ado about Nothing the following weekend. A definite highlight of the year!

Puppy cuddles during a Rider game!
November flew by in a flash as everyone was super busy and Bobby was out of town a lot. We slowed things down for a second Thanksgiving with my parents (love love having two thanksgivings each year!) and then began the Christmas season.

Anna and Brenna were part of Humbug High, a modern adaptation of the Christmas Carol. I have never enjoyed a play as much as I did this one! It was done extremely well and will be hard to top if the drama club chooses to do another play in the spring!

December's other big news was that Emily got her driver's licence!!! We were able to get her a reliable if somewhat older vehicle and she has taken over the school run and lots of other running. It is spectacular having another driver in the house. I cannot stress this enough! Ha ha

Christmas was such a beautiful holiday, just the right balance of family and friends, relaxation and busy. Brenna and I took in a performance at the Globe Theatre and enjoyed You`re A Good Man Charlie Brown which was a great way to kick of Christmas holidays!

Anna with `her`Patience whom she often babysits

Emily and Rider
Christmas has come and gone and we have many moments that will stay in our memories. Gifts were warmly received and we took a lot of time to just sit and be together. Of the 20 Christmases I have spent with Bobby, this one will always be among the special... not because we did anything grand or gave expensive gifts but this year I was present in it all without even trying and that, my dear friends, is a gift.

I have left out stories and things accomplished I`m sure. I couldn't begin to tell you all that happens in our daily life... It is safe to say we are a busy crew who does a lot of fun things are involved in much. I don`t suspect that will change in 2015! Blessing to your family from ours!

We`ll catch sleep whenever we can!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September's Story

For Mrs D

Home