Post 3 Sept 11

9-11. Amazing how those two numbers can create such strong reaction to almost the entire over 14 years old population of North America... I don't discount the reality that became that fateful day as we  were all glued to our television sets and on the phone with loved ones expressing our shock, horror, dismay and hundreds of other emotions. For some, it took a bit for the realization to sink in, it took a bit to realize that this day would change our world forever. It all seems melodramatic any yet it happened and it's true. For me the memory that stand out the most was when I flipped to the much music station to get a break from the horror playing out on my TV screen only to be told by 'Canada's boyfreind', George Stroumboulopoulos, to quit watching crap that didn't matter and turn my TV back to the news. :) George has had a special place in my heart ever since.

9-11 reawakened my mother's US patriotism and all of a sudden US politics became a thing around the dinner table... Yep 9-11 changed us all.

But Sept. 11 means so much more. Today is Grandma Helen Lawrence's birthday and not a year goes by that my first thought of the day doesn't go something like this; "I wish we still had her." I can't imagine that Grandma is anywhere but with Jesus but I so wish we could have had more time with her. Not long ago I was looking for a picture frame to put in Bobby's office at work. I came across an old frame that we had been given after Grandma passed away. I opened the back and for a brief moment I could smell that unique smell that belonged only to her... And in that frame? Every single picture we had given her from our wedding portrait to the final family photo the Christmas before she died. I won't lie, I cried and then I smiled for Grandma's love still touches this family in many ways. Her love for each of her children and their families was and is the glue that keeps us together.

9-11... We all remember this day for different reasons and we all have to stop and catch our breath as we think of all that has changed in the past 14 years. Lives lost, wars fought, terror redefined. But we can also look back and see the heroes, the compassion and lives rebuilt through hope.

Hope... that's a beautiful word. Where do you find your hope? For me, that answer comes easy as my mind begins to hum the old tune 'My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness.' As I reflect on today's verse I am also reminded of hope... Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. Freedom to live as God intended. Freedom to be who I am called to be... without fear.

My my life ever be shaped by the freedom God brings and not be defined by the world around me.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September's Story

For Mrs D

50 Years