For Mrs D

Grief has visited me once again. And for all the people I have lost in the last 4 years, this one hurts so differently, so deeply. I didn't know that grief could change my taste buds and make me so afraid to close my eyes. I didn't know you could wake up all ready in tears. This is different. This is the pain of loosing someone who isn't old, who isn't sick but who is your own age and who shares your everyday story, This is different some how. In many ways I am still in shock and survival mode. And so I will write because writing is sometimes the only way I can even begin to let go of the pain.

I first met Rose when I was dating one of her cousins. I remember how bright and cheerful Rose was at every family gathering. I really wanted to get to know her but back then my world pretty much revolved around 'the boy.'

Fast forward quite a few years... Bobby and I have married, had our beautiful girls and settled  our oldest, AnnaRose into school life at Hillcrest. I knew Rose would be her grade 1 teacher and I was a bit worried that it was going to be ... well awkward. Things hadn't ended well with her cousin and I was afraid she was going to think I was just an awful person... As I went in for that first meeting, I remember her smiling at me and I relaxed a bit but me being me just had to be sure. As I expressed my concern, she was so friendly and gracious. She basically said that the past was the past, She would be my daughters' teacher and we would become great friends. How right she was.

Rose Davenport would indeed teach all of may daughters to read and write and begin their lifelong journey of education along with all the other amazing teachers at Hillcrest but something about Rose was special. It's hard to put into words just how much she poured into the little students. Time, energy, creativity and most importantly love. You won't be able to find a student anywhere that can say that Mrs D didn't love them. And she never shied away from an exuberant or shy hug from any student.
For me, Rose became a huge part of my support system. She always had time to hear my concerns about my kids and helped us work through some of Anna's special issues. She never did manage to get any of my kids to spell though ;) I can't even begin to put into words all the ways she encouraged my girls to be themselves, to be open about their faith and to just live life with joy and perseverance. And I know she did that for 100's of other kids too. Our littles were so blessed to have such an incredible beginning with their beloved Mrs D.

Emily's last day of grade 1
Brenna's last day of grade 1

I am so grateful to have caught one of those famous hugs on film ;)

Even after my kiddos were all finished with grade 1, Rose stayed in their lives and in mine. She was always there to congratulate the girls on their accomplishments and share a giggle with me over whatever stories we shared. Rose was a bright spot in all our lives and the memories flood my soul as I type these words. The Hillcrest community, while a bit rough around the edges was by far the greatest thing in my kids lives. When we bought our house within Westview boundaries, we made the decision to keep our kids at Hillcrest because we were so in love with all the teachers. We have never looked back and thought, why didn't we move them.... although I'm not gonna lie, the idea of the girls being able to have Mr D as a teacher as well was pretty tempting! :)
In 2014 when the unthinkable happened and Leslie Dwyre was killed, the entire staff at Hillcrest stopped everything for that grade 8 class of which Brenna was a part. Our kids would not have made it through that tragedy without Rose, Laurie Sara, Mel, Cat and all the other staff (who I should name but... well the list is already long). They hooked arms and formed a circle of protection around those kids and did everything they possibly could and more to walk them through those last weeks of school. To this day, those same staff members check in to see how Brenna is doing. Even though their hearts were shattered they gave everything to those kids. Brenna is who she is today because of them. 
Brenna's Grade 8 farewell with just a few of the staff who had loved my girls so well.



Rose and I continued our friendship as we watched Cole and Carter play on the ECS football field and my girls on the sidelines helping their Dad. Half time usually meant a quick visit and catch up with Rose and Kim! We watched  Anna and the boys at track meets and in the ECS drama productions. We shared in the joy of our kids' accomplishments at awards nights and of course at Anna and Cole's high school graduation. If Rose was anywhere nearby, my girls went looking for their hugs. A smile, a hug and a word of encouragement from Mrs D were like whole bouquets of flowers to my three... especially Brenna.

Just a few weeks ago, in early April, Brenna was thrilled to see Mrs D at the Estevan Mermaid Water Show (Carter's girlfriend is a synchronised swimmer as well) as Brenna has always wanted to have her come see her swim. I snapped a picture even though Brenna was rolling her eyes a bit at my insistence. To have this moment of pride caught forever both breaks my heart and fills it all at the same time. I simply cannot comprehend that it will be the last picture but I am so very grateful we had that moment.


To have Rose continue to share in our lives blessed me so often. There are just no words to really explain how light my heart feels when we are having a conversation or sharing in the joy of whatever our kids are doing. When the Davenports would come to church, it wasn't uncommon for Brenna and I to almost race to see who could get to Rose first. She was just that kind of person. She drew you in and gave you her full attention and you knew how deeply she cared.

 One of the things I loved most about Rose was how much she loved Jesus and how quick she was to share that love in the most creative ways. I loved her ministry with the worlds' greatest VBS program ever and I loved the stories my girls would bring home from school about her latest piece of jewellery that would cause kids to ask questions about the colours and she could simply share the gospel message.

I could go on and on for pages about all the things I loved about this woman but it would never fully do her justice. I have shared my heart the best way I can and I'm sure I will look back at this and think there was more I could have shared but I'll leave it with this; Rose and I were not 'best friends' but she was in my inner circle of love and support. My life has been so richly increased because of her. Our community has suffered a great loss in her passing. One of our brightest lights has gone out and our hearts hurt, oh how they hurt. Our hearts break for Shane, Carter and Cole. We can't even begin to fathom the loss the McClelland and Davenport families feel but we love them and we will walk through this pain with them. We will rally the troops and we will surround them with all the love we can muster. We can all honour her by loving more and hugging more and taking the time to make people feel like they matter.

To all of you who are hurting know that you are not alone. Reach out, share your stories and let Rose live on in our words, our deeds and forever in our hearts.

I will miss you forever... until we meet again in heaven. Rest Easy in the arms of Jesus knowing that you have served Him well. Thank you for being my friend.




Comments

  1. Andrea McClellandJune 6, 2017 at 1:35 PM

    I didn't "know" Rose, although she knew me, as she babysat me when I was small. However, I do know Cole, as I've worked with him for the past three years and my heart breaks for that entire family. Beautiful words, Susanna. I feel like I got a tiny glimpse of Rose through these words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs D was definitely one of the greatest teachers my kids ever had. To this day, they still talk about her and her beautiful personality! She was someone I thankfully had the pleasure of knowing. This household will never forget her or the wonderful things she has accomplished for this community. We wish to send our condolences to everyone affected by her passing. Thank you so much for this wonderful piece!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

September's Story

50 Years