Thanksgiving Thoughts

A thankful heart does not always come easy. Thankfulness in times of pain and struggle can be difficult. When I began to make thankfulness a practice in my life. I don't think I knew how hard it would be sometimes to find the joy in the everyday. I don't always succeed but what I can say is this. A truly thankful heart holds little room for bitterness, anxiety and other negative emotion. At least this is my experience, I  sure there are thankful folks out there who struggle all the time with fighting off the darkness in their life. What I am trying to say is that thankfulness is a journey though those things and can be a great antidote.

This year I decided my word was celebration, this was to be a year of celebration and largely it has been. Today as Canada celebrates my favourite Sunday, Thanksgiving, I find my heart battling the idea of celebrating. I so want to focus on all that isn't instead of all that is. I sad and workings way through loss and transition and it's been tough to be thankful but I am choosing to be thankful anyway.

What I am thankful for today is a long and varied list, full of sacred and silly, things seen and unseen. I am thankful for both things in the past and present. My heart will choose the joy, the celebration and while I will still be sad, I will celebrate all the God has done for us.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September's Story

For Mrs D

50 Years